A new Game Content Usage rule from Microsoft bans Machinima directors from profiting off of videos that make use of Microsoft game franchises Fable, Halo, Forza Motorsport, and other first and third-party properties published under its name.
The rule states all directors on websites such as YouTube and Vimeo are illegally using the properties if they profit from the footage.
"You may post your Item to a page or website that has advertising, but only if you do not earn any money from that advertising," Microsoft states. "For example, if you post your video on Youtube or Vimeo and there happens to be an advertisement next to it, then as long as you don't get paid for that advertisement, the fact that there is an advertisement on the page doesn't break these Rules. But enrolling in the Youtube partner program (or other similar programs), where you are entering into an agreement to get paid, is not allowed. On a similar note, if you create and distribute a free app, then you can't earn any money from advertising in that app."
Microsoft's new Game Content Usage rule can be read in full here.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Game contoller for PC