According to Fils-Aime, Nintendo plans to refresh the upcoming console through this period by adding new partners to the mix. He states the company's belief in the product is "based on having great graphics, it's based on having a robust online execution. We believe that this system is going to have a very long life, and it's going to be very well supported by third-party publishers."
Regarding future partnership deals, he added: "It's going to be based on who the players are, and how they fit into the ecosystem that we're building. But as we drive the installed base of Wii U, we think there's going to be a lot of additional partnerships there for us to have."
Fils-Aime went on to say Nintendo expects the number of consumers looking to buy the Wii U this holiday season to be in the "millions," with "a few million" late adopters of the Wii believed to pick up the older console.
"We think that the Wii will have a strong holiday as well because there certainly are many consumers who are still feeling some financial pressure who only want to spend a certain amount of money but still want to play Mario and Donkey Kong and all of these great franchises," he said.
Looking to the future of Nintendo 3DS, Fils-Aime said it is possible for the handheld device to focus more on entertainment, with potential to include Nintendo TV features.
"It could," said Fils-Aime. "But the piece to recognize and the reason we're able to bring that to life is that your signal, from either your cable box or your dish, this system has access to it through the IR codes. ... Who's to say the next iteration, ... the 4DS or whatever it is, might be able to do that, maybe.
"But it just highlights the way we think about hardware development is we envision scenarios, we envision what can be done technically, that the current system doesn't do and then we build it into that new device."
The Wii U is scheduled to release November 18th in North America.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- SOE president says H1Z1 makers are 'fans and contributors' of DayZ
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Art exhibit blends video games with religious iconography
- Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam and Humongous Entertainment return to PC on Steam
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Tales of Hearts R to launch in North America late this year
- See The Fifth Element imagined as a 16-bit video game