Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is powered by an engine that debuted seven years ago, and the game's design director at Treyarch remains bemused at comments from people who believe that to be a technical disadvantage, according to an interview with the Official Xbox Magazine UK.
Original Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward created the IW engine for Call of Duty 2, which was an Xbox 360 launch title in 2005. Both Infinity Ward and Treyarch have since iterated on the technology in numerous ways, and Treyarch's David Vonderhaar told OXM UK that the version in Black Ops 2 offers "significant upgrades" in areas such as lighting, shadows and textures.
"People like to talk about the engine, but the truth of the matter is that this isn't like something that was invented six years ago," he said.
Vonderhaar also believes that the engine's frame rate, which is locked at 60 frames per second, should outweigh any perceived shortcomings. "To me, it's like I never really understood," he said. "It runs at 60 [frames per second] and it's gorgeous. What exactly is there to be upset about with the engine?"
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 launches on Nov. 13 on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, with a Wii U version coming alongside the console's North American launch on Nov. 18. Check out our most recent look at the game's multiplayer component.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Minecon is officially off this year; looks to return in 2015
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Microsoft hosting ID@Xbox open house before PAX kicks off
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Female representation in gaming
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today