GOG.com's library of new and classic "good old games" comes to Mac OS X starting today with support for 50 titles, including The Witcher, FTL, Dungeon Keeper, Crusader: No Remorse, and Bullfrog's Syndicate.
At least one new title is planned to launch with Mac support every week, says the reseller of new and classic games.
Like the Windows titles currently offered by GOG.com, Mac versions will be DRM-free. GOG.com customers who already own the Windows version of a game will get the Mac version at no extra charge. Likewise, customers who buy the Mac version of a title will get the Windows version of each title with their original purchase.
GOG will allow players to download those Mac games either through a web browser or a dedicated downloader.
With the launch of Mac support on GOG.com, the company is offering a 50 percent discount on select titles: Theme Hospital, Sim City 2000, Postal: Classic and Uncut, Crusader: No Remorse, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, and Little Big Adventure.
New Mac customers who sign up for GOG.com will get nine games for free, including Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, Beneath A Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress, Ultima: Worlds of Adventure 2, and Tyrian 2000.
GOG.com reps say they'll support Mac OS X versions 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.7 (Lion), and 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). The classic games on offer include both native versions of Mac titles and software running through a custom version of DOSbox. The company says it's looking into WINE support for GOG.com titles as well.
In addition to Mac OS X support, GOG.com says it is testing its library of more than 460 games for compatibility with Windows 8.
"We're working on it, but we don't have an official announcement," the company says.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- When a successful game is a failure
- Tales from the Borderlands stars two lying, greedy Pandorians
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Telltale describes the difficulty of starting over in The Walking Dead Season Two
- Goat Simulator's Steam support is the 'most defining and important part'
- Report: Xbox Live could feature targeted political ads
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- Marvel: Avengers Alliance adding Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy content
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- Getting a PS4
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- The Last of US DLC
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?