GOG.com's library of new and classic "good old games" comes to Mac OS X starting today with support for 50 titles, including The Witcher, FTL, Dungeon Keeper, Crusader: No Remorse, and Bullfrog's Syndicate.
At least one new title is planned to launch with Mac support every week, says the reseller of new and classic games.
Like the Windows titles currently offered by GOG.com, Mac versions will be DRM-free. GOG.com customers who already own the Windows version of a game will get the Mac version at no extra charge. Likewise, customers who buy the Mac version of a title will get the Windows version of each title with their original purchase.
GOG will allow players to download those Mac games either through a web browser or a dedicated downloader.
With the launch of Mac support on GOG.com, the company is offering a 50 percent discount on select titles: Theme Hospital, Sim City 2000, Postal: Classic and Uncut, Crusader: No Remorse, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, and Little Big Adventure.
New Mac customers who sign up for GOG.com will get nine games for free, including Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, Beneath A Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress, Ultima: Worlds of Adventure 2, and Tyrian 2000.
GOG.com reps say they'll support Mac OS X versions 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.7 (Lion), and 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). The classic games on offer include both native versions of Mac titles and software running through a custom version of DOSbox. The company says it's looking into WINE support for GOG.com titles as well.
In addition to Mac OS X support, GOG.com says it is testing its library of more than 460 games for compatibility with Windows 8.
"We're working on it, but we don't have an official announcement," the company says.
- An awful week to care about video games
- How Salt and Sanctuary reimagines Dark Souls as a 2D action-platformer
- Valve taken to court by Australian consumer commission over Steam refund policy
- The pitch versus the reality: what one of gaming's biggest Kickstarters looks like now
- Dust: An Elysian Tail coming to PS4 'very soon'
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- Where to buy?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- On Being A "Gamer"