The Wii U will have in-game chat functionality for selected games, according to Nintendo.
In a statement released by the publisher and developer, Nintendo said that the in-game chat functionality will be available for selected games, "including, but not limited to, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Assassin's Creed 3, and Mass Effect 3.
"This feature will be supported by licensed stereo headsets that plug directly into the headphone port of the Game Pad. Licensed headsets are available from Turtle Beach and Tritton," Nintendo said.
Nintendo has not confirmed whether players will be able to plug a headset into the Wii U's Pro Controller, a more traditional controller that doesn't have a touchscreen like the Game Pad. The Pro Controller has been confirmed to be compatible with games like Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, although it is unclear how players will be able to access in-game voice chat if they choose to play with the Pro Controller instead of the Game Pad.
The Wii U will release in North America on November 18th starting at $299.99.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27