The Wii U will have in-game chat functionality for selected games, according to Nintendo.
In a statement released by the publisher and developer, Nintendo said that the in-game chat functionality will be available for selected games, "including, but not limited to, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Assassin's Creed 3, and Mass Effect 3.
"This feature will be supported by licensed stereo headsets that plug directly into the headphone port of the Game Pad. Licensed headsets are available from Turtle Beach and Tritton," Nintendo said.
Nintendo has not confirmed whether players will be able to plug a headset into the Wii U's Pro Controller, a more traditional controller that doesn't have a touchscreen like the Game Pad. The Pro Controller has been confirmed to be compatible with games like Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, although it is unclear how players will be able to access in-game voice chat if they choose to play with the Pro Controller instead of the Game Pad.
The Wii U will release in North America on November 18th starting at $299.99.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Optimus Prime is no longer just a truck, he's a PlayStation
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- PS4 Beta Codes