The Wii U will have in-game chat functionality for selected games, according to Nintendo.
In a statement released by the publisher and developer, Nintendo said that the in-game chat functionality will be available for selected games, "including, but not limited to, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Assassin's Creed 3, and Mass Effect 3.
"This feature will be supported by licensed stereo headsets that plug directly into the headphone port of the Game Pad. Licensed headsets are available from Turtle Beach and Tritton," Nintendo said.
Nintendo has not confirmed whether players will be able to plug a headset into the Wii U's Pro Controller, a more traditional controller that doesn't have a touchscreen like the Game Pad. The Pro Controller has been confirmed to be compatible with games like Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, although it is unclear how players will be able to access in-game voice chat if they choose to play with the Pro Controller instead of the Game Pad.
The Wii U will release in North America on November 18th starting at $299.99.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Changing Posting Name
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant