Thanking his former colleagues, Madureira took to Twitter, stating: "So long @Vigilgames @THQ thanks for all the memories! @Darksiders was definitely a career highlight. Keep on kicking ass I'm a fan for life!"
A longer message was offered on Facebook, hinting at his plans for the future, which includes work on numerous comics.
"After 7 long years and 2 hit games ( Darksiders BABY! ) I'm afraid the time has come for me to move on to new adventures," wrote Madureira.
"I could not be more proud of what we achieved, or the awesome people who helped build up this studio. I can safely say Vigil's future is in very good hands, so expect only awesomeness down the road. This feels surreal...I miss the place already.
"I'll be talking more about 'The Next Big Thing' in the coming months, but in the short term, I'm focusing on banging out a bunch of comics. Which should hopefully sate your hunger, you bloodthirsty savages!!! (*believe it or not that's a term of endearment."
Madureira worked previously as a comic book artist on Marvel's Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, and The Ultimates.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- How to make "South Park:Stick of Truth" more like Final Fantasy