Dead Island: Riptide will include a fifth playable character and more to do during the campaign than its predecessor, creative director Sebastian Reichert told VG24/7.
"There will be a new character, and yes we have a lot of ideas as mentioned before," he said. "There will be whole lot more to do. One small example would be that the game now tracks which weapons you use and mirrors that in your proficiency with those weapons."
The additional character is just one of the additions that developer Deep Silver is including in the game, the development of which he described as a balance between development time and fan interest in a sequel.
"But the request from the fans after the success of Dead Island was very clear — they want more and they want it now," he said. "However, creating a whole new setting will take a lot of time."
Reichert also revealed that Dead Island: Riptide's plot will be darker than the original's, and that the "flooded jungle" environment will make the game "feel really different."
- How Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition tricked us into playing Diablo 3 again
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Buy side-scroller Azure Striker Gunvolt on 3DS, get 8-bit throwback Mighty Gunvolt free