The Heart of the Swarm expansion for Starcraft 2 will introduce a new progression system for leveling up, developer Blizzard announced on Battle.net today.
Experience is earned in matchmaking modes and custom games run on Blizzard maps, and points will rack up for each unit players build and destroy. Points accumulate for each race up to a maximum level of 20 and are awarded once a match is finished.
Blizzard is looking into ways to award bonus experience points for special occurrences, with points being doled out for a player's first win of the day or for playing in a party with Real-ID friends. The developer is also considering holding bonus points weekends.
New player portraits, decals and other rewards can be earned through this leveling system, with goodies varying between races. Rewards will become "more epic" as a player's level increases.
The system will be available with the next patch to the Heart of the Swam beta. Blizzard warns that the company will be tweaking the game over time, and will notify players when the development team will need to reset players' experience point levels.
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- It takes 40 minutes to drive across country in The Crew, watch it happen right here
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones