Zynga will launch a UK gambling initiative in partnership with bwin.party Digital Entertainment as a first step into the online gambling world, reports Gamasutra.
bwin.party is an online gaming company that does business in poker, sports betting, casinos and bingo. Zynga's first partnered launch will be a slots simulator based on FarmVille. According to the company's chief financial officer David Wehner, this is only the first of many gambling ventures.
"We view this as a first step into real money gambling, and we believe that it's a good first step," Wehner said. "But it's only a first step toward what we think is a large opportunity for Zynga."
The announcement comes in the wake of massive layoffs, studio closures and cancellations on Oct. 23, after CEO Mark Pincus announced cost-reducing cuts affecting roughly five percent of Zynga's employees.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Nintendo lost $97M last quarter even with the success of Mario Kart 8
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer