The event will be held at 1up arcade and bar, and will award $2,000 to the player with the highest Donkey Kong score at the end of the three day tournament. The event is free to the general public, with VIP access available for $45 for those who want to avoid waiting in lines.
Participants include last year's Kong Off winner and Donkey Kong world record holder Hank Chien "The Dr. of Kong," former Donkey Kong world record holder Steve Wiebe, Donkey Kong Jr. champion Mark Kiehl and former Donkey Kong champion Billy Mitchell, whose dethroning by Wiebe was the subject of the documentary King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters .
Attendees who wish to play against the tournament participants can enter the Wild Card open division for a $30 fee. Additionally, $250 will be awarded to anyone who sets a world record on one the venue's classic arcade game cabinets.
Four more world record attempts will be made during the event for games Dig Dug, Frogger, Missile Command and Q*Bert.
- How Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition tricked us into playing Diablo 3 again
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Buy side-scroller Azure Striker Gunvolt on 3DS, get 8-bit throwback Mighty Gunvolt free