Activision-Blizzard is launching its own social and mobile game platform after announcing two new Skylanders mobile games today.
Named Activate, the mobile and social platform will put Activision in competition with the likes of Gree's OpenFeint and DeNA's Mobage. Inside Mobile Apps reports that Activate will allow users to access mobile games by logging in with their Facebook credentials or with an Activate account. This will then give them access to their friends list.
Some games, like the two upcoming Skylanders games, will support cloud storage, which will allow users to access their games on any iOS device.
Inside Mobile Apps adds that Activate will be getting social multiplayer features later this year.
Activision-Blizzard opened its first mobile-only studio, The Blast Furnace, in August. The Leeds-based studio developed Pitfall! for iOS.
Activate has not been dated, although the two Skylanders games are expected to release in November.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?