Grand Theft Auto 5 is expected to launch worldwide spring 2013 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Rockstar Games announced today on its official web site.
This is the first time Rockstar has offered release date information for GTA 5, which it announced in Oct. 2011. Hints of a release window were leaked earlier this week when photos of promotional posters from Europe foretold of a spring 2013 date.
Rockstar has a track record of publishing its marquee releases in spring. The developer released Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption during the month of May over the past three years. Grand Theft Auto 4 was released in April 2008.
Developed by Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto 5 takes place in Rockstar's vision of Southern California, the "largest and most thriving game-world we have ever created," the company says.
Starting next week on Monday, Nov. 5, 2012, Grand Theft Auto 5 will become available for pre-order, the developer says. More information on the title is expected to be released publicly next month as previews for the open-world crime adventure roll out.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- You can pre-order this beautiful $365 Metroid statue starting today
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming