Grand Theft Auto 5 is expected to launch worldwide spring 2013 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Rockstar Games announced today on its official web site.
This is the first time Rockstar has offered release date information for GTA 5, which it announced in Oct. 2011. Hints of a release window were leaked earlier this week when photos of promotional posters from Europe foretold of a spring 2013 date.
Rockstar has a track record of publishing its marquee releases in spring. The developer released Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption during the month of May over the past three years. Grand Theft Auto 4 was released in April 2008.
Developed by Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto 5 takes place in Rockstar's vision of Southern California, the "largest and most thriving game-world we have ever created," the company says.
Starting next week on Monday, Nov. 5, 2012, Grand Theft Auto 5 will become available for pre-order, the developer says. More information on the title is expected to be released publicly next month as previews for the open-world crime adventure roll out.
- How cows predicted the seedy underbelly of social gaming
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- A New Steam Controller
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24