StarCraft fans taking part in the ongoing beta test for the Heart of the Swarm expansion for StarCraft 2 will have the opportunity to try out one of the game's new social features, clan support, later this week.
Blizzard plans to roll out long-promised support for clans and groups in the StarCraft 2 beta test, offering a first look at the functionality in a new post on Battle.net. StarCraft 2's clan support, Blizzard says, will offer private chat channels, clan-specific news feeds and member rosters. Details, restrictions and technical limitations on clan names and clan tags are detailed in the posting.
"Our goal with Clans in StarCraft 2 is simple," Blizzard writes. "We want to bring people together in ways that make sense for allowing players to organize into groups, communicate with each other, and recognize others in-game. Like other new features being tested in the beta, Clans is a work in progress, and we're looking forward to testing it with you."
In addition to support for clans, which is targeted at competitive players, StarCraft 2 will support "groups" for more casual associations.
"We expect that Groups might be focused on a specific genre of Arcade game, geographic location, BarCraft, community website, popular personality, or eSports organization," Blizzard explains. While clans are limited to 50 members, groups can hold a larger number of players.
Blizzard reiterates that clan and group features will be available to all StarCraft 2 players, not just those who purchase the Heart of the Swarm expansion.
StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm will feature a single-player campaign centered around the Zerg and bring sweeping changes to the real-time strategy game's multiplayer component. Blizzard recently detailed a new progression system for Heart of the Swarm that will unlock decals and player portraits as players level up.
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- The Besties: The Best Games of February 2014
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Here's how Twitch will work on Xbox One
- When a successful game is a failure
- Basement Crawl review: cutting room
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Revelations DLC reintroduces Alucard March 25
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- Galak-Z coming to PlayStation Vita