Halo 4 developers Kiki Wolfkill and Bonnie Ross spoke out against sexism in the games industry and within gaming communities in a recent interview with GameSpot.
Wolfkill, the executive producer of Halo 4, and Ross, the head of 343 Industries, told GameSpot that they have zero tolerance for Xbox Live users who make sexist or discriminatory comments at others and, if caught, they will be penalized with a lifetime ban from the network.
"I've seen many of the sites that have documented some of the more gender-specific slanderous comments," Ross said. "This is behaviour that is offensive and completely unacceptable. I'd like to think most of our Xbox Live players don't support this kind of behaviour."
Wolfkill said that it can be dangerous to give adolescents a broadcast mechanism, especially when it is accompanied with anonymity. The two developers believe that gamemakers have a responsibility to help stamp out sexism in the industry, and one of the first steps is by putting more thought into how characters are presented in a game.
"As developers, we have a personal responsibility to think about how our games come across," Ross said. "With Halo 4, we were very deliberate in thinking about who should be female and who should be male in the game, and if we came off stereotypical, we went back to question what we were doing and why."
The full interview with GameSpot can be read here.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Street Fighter: World Warrior live action series in development
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Really Horrible