After working its way through a prolonged certification process, Curiosity: What's Inside The Cube is set to hit iTunes and iOS and Android devices on Nov. 7, developer Peter Molyneux tells Polygon.
The game was submitted to Apple for certification on Oct. 1, but its unusual premise led to some delays, Molyneux said.
"The approval process was looong," Molyneux told Polygon in an email interview. "We first submitted on the 1st of October, because Curiosity is so unique in both execution and concept, Apple obviously paid close attention to it. This meant it kept popping in and out of Cert. Apple have been wonderfully professional and their systems worked well."
In Curiosity, players work together to tap away at a mammoth cube, all hoping to be the single person who can get to the center and discover a secret. A secret that Molynuex and the people at developer 22 Cans hope won't disappoint.
The game will be free, but players can purchase better tools for tapping their way to the core of the cube. Molyneux said the nature of those in-game purchases led to a bit of Apple-requested tweaking.
"We did end up making some design changes, most of which made sense," he said. "There were changes to the shop, and the initial login."
Another hold up was that Molyneux and the team at 22 Cans needed to insure that no one, not even the folks at Apple, found out the secret while working on certifying the game.
"We also had to guard the secret of what was in the centre of the cube, with lots of back and forth, in the end we kept it secret," he said. "It was a fascinating experience. I have to say Apple were brilliant though."
Molyneux reiterated that the team has big plans for the game, including additions of a new "rich feature set" planned.
"I have no idea how sales will go," he said, when asked. "I would love it to be in the hundreds of thousands, but even low order thousands would be fascinating."
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Guild Wars' nine year anniversary festivities kick off April 22
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?