You may have noticed that your four favorite curmudgeons, The Besties, have been sadly AWOL over the past couple weeks. We've been getting messages from fans asking what's up, so I thought it'd be best to fill you in now, rather than on our next show. Don't worry, it's nothing bad!
Fans may recall us hinting at MAJOR CHANGIES (our words, not yours) coming to the podcast in the weeks before the outage. Allow me to enlighten you: We were in the process of transforming The Besties into an audio AND video podcast. Our intention was to post the video of each show on our YouTube channel while releasing the audio through our RSS and on iTunes as per usual.
Unfortunately we ran into a number of issues that kept this from being a tremendous success. The biggest was geography. Having me and Chris Plante in the studio in New York, while having Justin and Griffin calling in from West Virginia and Texas, respectively, was a pretty serious technical undertaking. While we were able to get it running, the audio and video quality invariably suffered and technical issues lead to audio delays which stifled a lot of the conversation that you find so charming every week. Frankly it just wasn't up to snuff.
Have we abandoned doing a video version of The Besties entirely? Nope!
Have we abandoned doing a video version of The Besties entirely? Nope! We're still up for it, and if you guys have suggestions for how best to pull it off, feel free to leave them in the comments. But until we feel we can really nail it, we're going to remain an audio podcast for your listening ears.
As for when you'll be hearing us next, that's mostly dependent on when Con Edison can deliver power back to lower Manhattan, since Plante and I record from our homes (which are currently very, very dark). Right now the word is that power will be back on Friday, Nov. 2nd but there's really no way to know for sure, and I don't want to make any promises.
Hopefully that gives you a better sense as to what's going on with The Besties. We love doing the show as much as you love listening to it, so no need to fear that you've heard the last of us. In the meantime, though, you can catch Justin and Griffin in the non-game-related-but-still-phenomenally-funny MBMBAM podcast while you can get your fix of Plante and me in elder episodes of The Cooperatives.
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Tonight, a nation's favorite game will award a human prize
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- Yes, you can dress up like Link when Monster Hunter 4 comes stateside next year
- Scientifically Accurate Sonic is everything you never wanted to know about hedgehog poop
- 30-day P90X program comes to Xbox Fitness for $59.99
- How to unlock Thanatophobia, the almost impossible trophy, in Rogue Legacy
- Here's a first look at Agent 47 in the upcoming movie 'Hitman: Agent 47'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27