Wikipad, the Android-based tablet with detachable gaming controls, was supposed to go on sale at retailer GameStop today, Oct. 31. But the manufacturer has just informed customers that the product is now delayed until further notice.
On its Facebook page, Wikipad Inc. writes that it had a "last minute opportunity" to optimize the Wikipad. An official statement from the tablet's manufacturer sent to The Verge alludes to a "minor refinement needed to ensure our first customers are completely satisfied with the Wikipad," but does not specify what that refinement is. Wikipad pledges to customers that it will ship the "refined and upgraded Wikipad bundle as well as a special bonus gift" to customers who pre-ordered the tablet.
The Wikipad features an Nvidia Tegra 3 chip, 10.1-inch LCD screen and built-in Wi-Fi. The tablet runs Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and is one of the third-party devices planned to support Sony's PlayStation Mobile platform.
The $499 Wikipad was available for pre-order at GameStop, but the retailer has since stopped taking orders for the device.
Wikipad Inc.'s message to customers is copied below.
We at Wikipad have been struggling with a decision that impacts you, our important customers.
While we have been relentlessly refining the Wikipad with our manufacturers and partners, as we approached the launch date, we received a last minute opportunity to even better optimize the Wikipad bundle. We struggled with the decision of launching today or pushing it back to provide an even better experience. As a team, we will not settle for anything less than the best and we will deliver you the best experience!
For those who pre-ordered the Wikipad at GameStop through today, October 31st, we don't want you to miss out on the enhancements. We will deliver to you the refined and upgraded Wikipad bundle as well as a special bonus gift with the pre-order.
We apologize for the delay and we want you to know we are committed to bringing you the best product experience possible for our first product. We hope you'll agree upon delivery.
Look to these pages as to delivery date updates.
Thank you for your patience,
THE WIKIPAD TEAM
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
- Sonic fan art expert rates the pornographic potential for Sonic Boom cast
- X-Men, Pacific Rim and virtual tornadoes: How Hollywood used Oculus Rift at Comic-Con
- How to lose a game of Stronghold Crusader 2
- This fan-made Super Smash Bros. trailer is amazing ... and a little creepy
- Rogue Legacy - Overview video