Ouya, the $99, Android-powered, hackable game console that was funded on Kickstarter will run on Android's Jelly Bean operating system, the console's developer announced on its Kickstarter page today.
In the first update delivered since Sept. 14, the developer of the Ouya console said that the team was making the jump from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean to ensure that the console is running the most up-to-date software.
The developer wrote that software development kits for Ouya are still planned for December and development of the console itself is "still going full-steam ahead" to meet its March 2013 release date.
"Last week was a huge milestone for us," the developer wrote. "We received our first development run of PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) for the console. This is the heart (and we believe the soul) of the OUYA experience.
"It's pretty amazing how our engineers have packed in Quad-Core awesomeness into such an unbelievably small package (any guesses on how small the PCB actually is?). All the hard work in refining the design has paid off in spades – the first boards came to life without any hitches, and we're now fine tuning software and hardware performance for graphics, wireless, and user experience! W00t."
The PCB was compared to a soda can, pictured below.
The developer said that the Ouya development kits are still in the pre-production phase and will be built in limited quantity, with each being a collector's item "unique in design, build and appearance."
Ouya raised $8,596,474 on Kickstarter in July this year. It is expected to release in March 2013.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Ultima Forever comes to an end months after closure of EA Mythic
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?