Ouya, the $99, Android-powered, hackable game console that was funded on Kickstarter will run on Android's Jelly Bean operating system, the console's developer announced on its Kickstarter page today.
In the first update delivered since Sept. 14, the developer of the Ouya console said that the team was making the jump from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean to ensure that the console is running the most up-to-date software.
The developer wrote that software development kits for Ouya are still planned for December and development of the console itself is "still going full-steam ahead" to meet its March 2013 release date.
"Last week was a huge milestone for us," the developer wrote. "We received our first development run of PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) for the console. This is the heart (and we believe the soul) of the OUYA experience.
"It's pretty amazing how our engineers have packed in Quad-Core awesomeness into such an unbelievably small package (any guesses on how small the PCB actually is?). All the hard work in refining the design has paid off in spades – the first boards came to life without any hitches, and we're now fine tuning software and hardware performance for graphics, wireless, and user experience! W00t."
The PCB was compared to a soda can, pictured below.
The developer said that the Ouya development kits are still in the pre-production phase and will be built in limited quantity, with each being a collector's item "unique in design, build and appearance."
Ouya raised $8,596,474 on Kickstarter in July this year. It is expected to release in March 2013.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Tales from the Borderlands lets you stop and smell the chaotic roses
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- How's this PC for next gen?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Kingdom of Amalur - 10$ was the best deal ever