Director Paul Owens said that although the studio hasn't settled on an exact date, the aim is for a December 7th release digitally and on DVD.
The documentary's Kickstarter in March of last year netted the production company $210,297, earning one and a half times the initial goal of $150,000. The film will follow Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson for a year, beginning in early 2011 after the game's sudden rise in popularity following the late 2010 release of its beta version.
2 Player Productions is also working on a documentary for Mojang's Scolls, and has previously created films for Double Fine, Penny Arcade, and Sony.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes