Storm - The Game, a strategic action game about following virtual storms, is in development at Phoenix-based REX Game Studios, the company announced today.
The developer is working with Reed Timmer, a meteorologist and storm chaser on the Discovery Channel show Storm Chasers, which the network canceled this year after five seasons on the air. Timmer has since taken the series to the web as Tornado Chasers.
According to Timmer, the Tornado Chasers team "passed on many storm chasing game opportunities in the past," but liked REX's pitch, which he says "will be the ultimate virtual storm chasing experience out there." Timmer also hopes to ensure Storm - The Game is "the most real-life, meteorologically accurate gaming experience for storm chasing."
REX Game Studios called Storm - The Game its "most ambitious project to date." The developer is known for Real Environment Xtreme, an add-on that brings realistic weather, environments and flight planning to flight simulators such as Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Laminar Research's X-Plane. The developer did not announce planned platforms or a release window for Storm - The Game.
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- This laser-etched map of Zelda's Hyrule is going to sell out fast
- Ex-Silicon Knights dev sentenced in child pornography case, charged with sexual assault
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?