Storm - The Game, a strategic action game about following virtual storms, is in development at Phoenix-based REX Game Studios, the company announced today.
The developer is working with Reed Timmer, a meteorologist and storm chaser on the Discovery Channel show Storm Chasers, which the network canceled this year after five seasons on the air. Timmer has since taken the series to the web as Tornado Chasers.
According to Timmer, the Tornado Chasers team "passed on many storm chasing game opportunities in the past," but liked REX's pitch, which he says "will be the ultimate virtual storm chasing experience out there." Timmer also hopes to ensure Storm - The Game is "the most real-life, meteorologically accurate gaming experience for storm chasing."
REX Game Studios called Storm - The Game its "most ambitious project to date." The developer is known for Real Environment Xtreme, an add-on that brings realistic weather, environments and flight planning to flight simulators such as Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Laminar Research's X-Plane. The developer did not announce planned platforms or a release window for Storm - The Game.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Play Settlers of Catan Anytime thanks to HTML 5