Some lucky customers who pre-order Grand Theft Auto 5 starting next week will get an exclusive look at the game courtesy of limited edition viewfinders being offered as incentives for early adopters. The Los Santos Photo Viewers, as they're called in a supposed retailer letter from Rockstar Games, will feature a peek at new locations from the game via screenshots "that will never be released anywhere else, ever."
Shots from those "extremely limited edition" viewfinders have begun popping up on Instagram, showing new screenshots of select GTA 5 locations: Vinewood Hills, Del Perro Pier, Vespucci Canals, Zancudo River and Grapeseed. The viewfinders are emblazoned with logos from Rockstar Games and Fly US, a fictional in-game company.
According to the retailer letter posted by multiple Instagram users, Rockstar Games plans to release a new trailer for Grand Theft Auto 5 prior to Nov. 5, the day the game's pre-orders officially open.
Rockstar announced earlier this week that Grand Theft Auto 5 is expected to ship on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in spring 2013.
Polygon has contacted Rockstar Games seeking more information on the pre-order exclusives and details on the release of GTA 5's second trailer.
Update: Rockstar Games says in a statement forwarded to Polygon that disastrous weather in New York City has pushed back the release of that new Grand Theft Auto 5 trailer: "We are working on a second trailer — unfortunately Hurricane Sandy has derailed our plans somewhat but we will have something to show soon. Its hard to be precise as we have no power whatsoever in our New York office. We hope everyone else in affected areas is doing okay."
Update 2: As of Nov. 5, Grand Theft Auto 5 is available for pre-order at the Rockstar Warehouse; retailers across the U.S. such as Amazon, Best Buy and GameStop for $59.99; and U.K. retailers including GAME and HMV for £39.99.
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- A list of every video game ever made: 43,806 names, and counting
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot listed on Steam Greenlight
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Sniper Elite 3 will give British satirist the chance to shoot himself
- Teaser video suggests Grid sequel announcement on Tuesday
- SOE president says H1Z1 makers are 'fans and contributors' of DayZ