First mentioned in 2008, the hotly anticipated sequel to Ubisoft adventure game Beyond Good & Evil remains an enigma; a confirmed, but rarely talked about title in the French publisher's upcoming library.
Speaking with Polygon last week, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot assured fans that the company, and in particular game dev auteur Michel Ancel, remain passionate about Beyond Good & Evil 2 and that work continues on the title, albeit slowly.
While the game is in development, Guillemot said, it's not the only project Ancel is working on.
"What's very important is that Michel Ancel is kind of doing too many things at the same time," he said. "He was working on Rayman Origins last year, and he's working a lot on Rayman Legends this year. So, you know, when he does that, he kind of puts too much of his time on the other projects that he has.
"So the fact is, that working on Legends is slowing the process on Beyond Good and Evil 2."
That doesn't mean that Ubisoft or Ancel are disinterested in the title, just that he's being pulled in many directions, Guillemot added.
"It's really a game that we've been working, we have worked on, and is a game that we want to do," he said. "But there are so many things that have to be done that, you know, this one is going to come in line at one point, but at the moment Michel is really on Rayman Legends."
The original Beyond Good & Evil, a game that borrows its title from a book by philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, was a commercial failure, but critical success. In the game, players take on the role of a young photojournalist working to uncover a planet-wide alien conspiracy in the year 2435. The 2003 game was re-released for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 in 2011 as a full HD remastered version.
Word of a sequel first came in 2008, but official, substantive updates have been few and far between. Last year, Ancel told GameTrailers that the game would be coming to next-gen consoles. Earlier this year, Ancel confirmed that the game remains in "active" development.
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- What do Shakespeare and The Last of Us movie have in common?
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
- Shadowrun Returns gets a Director's Cut of its expansion this September
- The best new video game toys from Comic-Con
- Battlefield Hardline's single-player tells the story of a good cop framed
- The next Mass Effect will see the return of the Mako, focus on exploration