Lifetime sales of PlayStation 3 have reached 70 million units sold as of Nov. 4, Sony announced today, with PlayStation Move sales reaching over 15 million units as of Nov. 11.
This milestone follows Microsoft's own announcement last month stating 70 million Xbox 360 consoles have sold internationally since its launch in 2005.
Early this month Sony revealed hardware sales saw a decline in the last fiscal quarter, with both PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 consoles selling a combined 3.5 million units — a drop from the 4.9 million units sold in the same period last year. Sixteen million PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2 consoles are expected to sell this fiscal year.
While PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable devices are expected to sell 10 million units, a combined 2 million less units than expected, a price cut is confirmed for the PS Vita in 2013.
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- In the face of recent wins, Nintendo's lack of online functions is no longer forgivable
- This is the most accurate Pokémon trailer you'll ever watch
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- 25 character code not working on Xbox1
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction