The Nintendo TVii will launch this December, Nintendo confirmed today.
Users can expect access to the Wii U system's video on demand service sooner, however: It will become available "in the coming weeks," says Nintendo. Video on demand will allow users to access shows using Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus and Netflix that can otherwise be accessed using TVii.
In addition, downloadable content for "select games," including new levels or maps, will become available starting December following a system update.
"In December, Nintendo will activate this unique application that will transform how people find, watch and engage with TV shows, movies and sports," reads a prepared statement from the company.
"It works with existing cable and satellite channels. Viewers can engage with others in a variety of ways, such as commenting on moments as they happen on live TV, and then sharing those thoughts via Miiverse, Facebook and Twitter. Users can also discover more about what they're watching, as information from a variety of sources is automatically linked to the program they are watching, including sports data."
Nintendo TVii is defined as a "personalized programming guide" for live and on-demand content, allowing users to find shows on live TV using the Wii U GamePad as a television controller, or alternatively through Wii U apps such as Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video or Netflix.
Nintendo Wii U launches on Nov. 18. Check out our in-depth look into the wireless technology behind the new console.
Update: A Netflix representative told Engadget that while its app will be available from the Wii U's home screen at launch, Netflix won't be integrated with Nintendo TVii "until Q1" — the first quarter of 2013.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)