Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime is open to the possibility of a Grand Theft Auto title on the Wii U, according to a recent interview with Fils-Aime on MTV Multiplayer.
When asked if there would be a Grand Theft Auto title for the Wii U, Fils-Aime replied that developer Rockstar has "made some very nice public comments" about the console, and that Nintendo's goal is to provide developers with the necessary assistance to help bring their "best content" to its newest platform.
"In the end, it is Nintendo's responsibility to have a large installed base, to have development tools that help the developers and publishers create great content, and essentially create an environment where teams like Rockstar can bring their very best content to our platform, and if we do that hopefully the very best content throughout the entire industry will show up on Wii U," he said.
Grand Theft Auto 5 is currently scheduled for release on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 only. In a recent interview with IGN, Rockstar Games' head writer Dan Houser said that while a Wii U port is not barred from consideration, the developer will follow good business opportunities as they present themselves.
"We are a third-party publisher," Houser said. "But we can do what we want wherever there's the appropriate business opportunity and chance to find a market. If that's on Apple we put something on Apple. Wherever it might be. I think that's the fun in what we do. We see ourselves as a content company that uses technology. We don't make it; we use it to make the most fun stuff."
Grand Theft Auto was first published for a Nintendo console in 1997, with a port of the original game for the GameBoy Color. Grand Theft Auto 2 was published for GameBoy Color in 1999, and the Digital Eclipse-developed Grand Theft Auto Advance to GameBoy Advance in 2004. In 2009 Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars hit the Nintendo DS, with Fils-Aime publicly supporting the port.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!
- Any clues to why it is called Second Son?
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Contest Resumes: Infamous: Second Son - Win a statue of Delsin Rowe
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Where's Polygon? (Tue 15 Apr)
- The Secret Ending (spoilers)
- The best song in a video game?