Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn will not initially include the ability for same-sex avatars to marry, though the development team will consider player feedback and re-evaluate the matter at a later time, director Naoki Yoshida said in a recent video answering fan questions about the rebooted title.
A Realm Reborn will add the ability for avatars to get married, and the design team has included special in-game sanctums so players can hold "proper services and such." It may not be available at launch, notes Yoshida, but will likely be added by one of the game's first patches.
"As for same-sex marriage, this is an extremely controversial topic that has been under discussion in the MMO world for the past few years," Yoshida said. "First we would like to start out with opposite-sex marriage, and then consider the feedback from our players in order to make a careful decision. I can't say whether or not it will be possible at this point in time. I'd like to keep dialog open with our players as we deliberate the matter."
A Realm Reborn is scheduled to release mid-2013 for PC and PlayStation 3.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Do low game prices spell a 'mass extinction' for game developers?
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Pokémon's Slowpoke has its own official reggae song
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- I've experienced the Pokémon World Championships, and you should too