Nintendo's Wii U console becomes profitable with the purchase of just one game, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told Mercury News.
Despite this being the first Nintendo console the company will sell at a minor loss due to a decision to sell the console at a price not based on its manufacturing cost, Fils-Aime states Nintendo will make money on the Wii U once users buy their first game.
"As soon as we get the consumer to buy one piece of software, then that entire transaction becomes profit positive," he said. Fils-Aime did not detail what Nintendo takes in from sales of third party games.
"In the end, the business model is still to drive the install base of hardware,"he added, "and then to drive a strong tie ratio with all of the other software and experiences for the consumer. And if we're able to do that, then we will create significant profit for the company."
Nintendo said in its latest financial report that it hopes to sell 5.5 million Wii U consoles worldwide between launch and the end of its 2012 fiscal year on March 31.
"The fact that we're trying to match [the Wii] is, I think, a step in the right direction," director of product marketing for Nintendo of American Bill Trinen told Polygon recently. "Our goal, of course, is to manufacture as many as we can as quickly as we can."
- Toys for Bob and the story behind Skylanders
- Your first look at Prodigy's two new monstrous creatures
- Bungie fires Halo composer Martin O'Donnell (update)
- Wildstar PvP will throw you into a 40 vs. 40 battle royale
- Starbound studio is helping to bring metroidvania RPG Heart Forth, Alicia to new platforms
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- The best song in a video game?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?