The 4A Games developed Metro: Last Night will not be coming to Nintendo's Wii U as the studio is less than impressed with the CPU capability of the new console, 4A chief technical officer Oles Shishkovtsov told NowGamer.
While the game was initially slated for development on the Wii U alongside versions on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 platforms, the studio cannot justify developing a version for Nintendo's tablet-centric console as "[the] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU," said Shishkovtsov.
Fellow 4A Games developer Huw Beynon stated while it is technically feasible to create a version for the console, it would negatively impact the quality of the game.
"We had an early look at it, we thought we could probably do it," he said, "but in terms of the impact we would make on the overall quality of the game — potentially to its detriment - we just figured it wasn't worth pursuing at this time. It's something we might return to. I really couldn't make any promises, though."
"We had an initial look at the Wii U," he added. "But given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the PlayStation 3 is a significant addition."
Metro: Last Light, sequel to 4A Games' Russian apocalypse title Metro 2033, will release in March of next year after THQ announced this month it would push back its release. A Wii U version of Last Light was first announced at last year's E3 before publisher THQ confirmed this was no longer the case as of May of this year.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Rayman creator Michel Ancel leading new indie studio Wild Sheep, will stay at Ubisoft
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30