The 4A Games developed Metro: Last Night will not be coming to Nintendo's Wii U as the studio is less than impressed with the CPU capability of the new console, 4A chief technical officer Oles Shishkovtsov told NowGamer.
While the game was initially slated for development on the Wii U alongside versions on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 platforms, the studio cannot justify developing a version for Nintendo's tablet-centric console as "[the] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU," said Shishkovtsov.
Fellow 4A Games developer Huw Beynon stated while it is technically feasible to create a version for the console, it would negatively impact the quality of the game.
"We had an early look at it, we thought we could probably do it," he said, "but in terms of the impact we would make on the overall quality of the game — potentially to its detriment - we just figured it wasn't worth pursuing at this time. It's something we might return to. I really couldn't make any promises, though."
"We had an initial look at the Wii U," he added. "But given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the PlayStation 3 is a significant addition."
Metro: Last Light, sequel to 4A Games' Russian apocalypse title Metro 2033, will release in March of next year after THQ announced this month it would push back its release. A Wii U version of Last Light was first announced at last year's E3 before publisher THQ confirmed this was no longer the case as of May of this year.
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- How cows predicted the seedy underbelly of social gaming
- The Swapper coming to Wii U later this year
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- A New Steam Controller