Upcoming DLC for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed could feature fan-chosen characters, developer Sumo Digital's Steve Lycett announced in a post on the official Sega forums.
If at least 1,000 fans agree on three characters to include in the title by December, Lycett states he will bring these suggestions to Sega to potentially include in the downloadable content.
"I'll set you a challenge," he said. "Without any policing from the Sumo or Sega crew, if you can all agree on three characters by the first of December and prove there is sufficient interest of at least 1,000 unique people per character, I will present the result to Sega.
"I can't promise anything will happen as a result, but since you're starting it, let's see if you can organise yourselves in the next few weeks to pull that off."
A forum thread can currently be found on the website, featuring 26 characters from numerous Sega titles. As of press time, Sega Saturn mascot Segata Sanshiro has 2,195 votes, Vocaloid's Hatsune Miku has 2,004 votes and Shenmue's Ryo Hazuki has 1,982 votes. Other characters featuring a high number of votes include Vectorman, Ristar and Bayonetta. The winning characters are still tied to third-party publishers and licensing, however, which means their inclusion in the game is not guaranteed.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was released to Wii U, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on Nov. 18. A portable version of the game comes to PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3DS on Dec. 11.
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- Rogue Legacy survival guide: How to keep that family tree growing
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Gearbox fights back in Aliens suit, says it paid millions of its own cash to finish game