During its initial Kickstarter funding the studio planned for a scheduled launch in Jan. 2013, with releases on PC, iOS and Android devices; However, following a highly successful campaign which saw a 470 percent increase on the studio's original $400,000 funding goal — jumping to nearly $1.9 million via Kickstarter and PayPal contributions — the project grew in scale.
"As we announced a few months ago, we've backed off our original delivery date of January 2013. It might've worked for the scope of the game we originally envisioned but as our ambitions (read that "features list") grew, so did the time we needed to deliver! Plus, we made a big move from our original top down camera to an isometric point of view and that took serious R&D time. Right now, according to our estimates, we're looking at May or June.
"We've spent the majority of our time getting our game engine, art pipeline and base gameplay up and running and we've covered a lot of ground to get a lot of systems in place. Our engineering team has been crunching off and on for months to maximize the amount of time our designers will have to create our story."
According to the recent Kickstarter update, the team has since adjusted its work schedule, created a gameplay prototype called Run 'n' Gun, built a secret lab environment populated by Lone Star guards, re-designed its combat interface to run more smoothly, revised and debugged base combat AI, among numerous other fixes.
"After many weeks of hardcore debugging, iterating, and reworking, we're happy to say that we've "found the fun". We're happy with Run ‘n' Gun and feel confident that we're building the rest of the game on a solid foundation. Beyond all the design meetings and system write-ups, our designers have created more than a dozen additional scenarios that exercise the editor, the AI, the interface, the combat systems, and our skill as players."
Shadowrun Returns is now half-way through development. The team will next work on the magic and tech-based abilities, conversation system and narrative.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Do low game prices spell a 'mass extinction' for game developers?
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Pokémon's Slowpoke has its own official reggae song
- The Long Dark arrives on Early Access next month
- Google cleans up Google Play store, removes dozens of Swing Copters clones
- Disney Infinity is free to download on Wii U
- Russian and German armor clash in Combat Mission: Red Thunder
- 'The Players' Score: A Videogame Music Documentary' is headed to Kickstarter with composers you'll recognize