The Wii U version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 suffers framerate problems not present in its PS3 and Xbox 360 counterparts, according to an in-depth breakdown from the tech statisticians at Digital Foundry.
Though the Wii U version manages to hold its own in the graphics department, the series' characteristic 60 frames-per-second gameplay frequently dips into the 30s and 40s on Black Ops 2 for Nintendo's new console. As seen in a number of comparison videos tracking how the game performs across the three consoles, the Wii U's frame rate drops significantly whenever a large number of characters or special effects are shown on-screen.
During a press event in June, an Activision spokesperson told Polygon that "60 FPS is our goal," adding that frame rate might suffer "in dual-screen mode, which is to be expected."
You can check out comparison videos and even a technical breakdown of Black Ops 2's Wii U GamePad display at Digital Foundry's home on Eurogamer.
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Tekken X Street Fighter is still in the works, so 'please relax'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction