Despite heavy influence from and being "pushed around" by Western developers, the Japanese video game industry is slowly adapting to the competition and has begun to push back, Square Enix technical director Yoshihisa Hashimoto said in a recent interview with 4Gamer, translated by Edge.
"I believe Japan is capable of producing interesting games, but looking at the influence, we are being pushed around by western games without a doubt," he said. "Recently, it feels like the Japanese game industry hasn't lost, and is gradually pushing back.
"For us not to lose, we really have to exert ourselves. But, I feel encouraged," he added, noting that he was particularly impressed by Kojima Productions' work on Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes using the company's in-house next-generation Fox Engine.
Square Enix is currently working with its own next-gen engine, the Luminous Studio, and debuted the short film Agni's Philosophy at E3 this year as a demonstration of the engine's abilities.
Despite the rise of popularity of casual games, Hashimoto says that although AAA development "can feel like something of a fool's errand," Square Enix will stick to what it has become known for: big-budget productions with lavish, high-end graphics.
"I think 20 or so years from now, we'll still have 2D card games, and casual puzzle games," he said. "The demand won't go away, so neither will the games. In the same way, the demand for AAA games won't disappear either, though I feel we'll have to work hard to ensure their survival."
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies, Street Fighter vets and more designing Magic 2015 cards
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Flick Bird - clone of Flappy Bird
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup