The next game from the creators of Halo may have just been revealed in a substantial leak of concept art and game details. According to a report from IGN, details on Bungie's "sci-fantasy, action shooter" Destiny, including its plot and visual design, have been revealed from a leaked advertising document.
In response to the published images, Bungie posted concept art on its website that matches the artwork purportedly from Destiny, writing "Go ahead. Take a peek. It's alright. We weren't quite ready, but we will be soon, and we can't wait to finally show you what we've really been up to."
Destiny is described as a "fun and accessible" shooter designed to be as "deep, tangible and relatable as that of the Star Wars franchise," according to IGN's report. The game is pitched as "social at its core," possibly lending credence to rumors that the game draws influence from massively multiplayer online games.
The marketing document created by an outside advertising firm — a fact that Bungie confirmed to IGN — contains an extensive plot background.
"Our story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of man's Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what it's here for, but only that it's our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young ‘knights' tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and — eventually — overcoming it."
The document also pegs Destiny for release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
Bungie's work on Destiny was revealed earlier this year in court documents related to the Activision v. West and Zampella lawsuit. Details from Bungie's 10-year contract with publisher Activision revealed that the developer was working on four games in the Destiny franchise, with the first due to be released on Xbox 360 and Microsoft's next-generation console in 2013.
Future Destiny games are slated to come to PlayStation 4 and Windows PC, the contract revealed.
Bungie responded to the leak of its contract with Activision at the time by saying "While we're not ready to show you what we've been working on, we can reconfirm that we are hard at work on our new universe. We can't wait for you to see it. See you
starside in 2013."
For an extensive look at what Destiny may ultimately look like, check out a dozen images at IGN.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium
- State of Decay dev's latest project is like the online Pokémon game you've always wanted
- VR school girls? When a Pokemon fighting game isn't the weirdest project from Bandai Namco
- Here's the first trailer for the new Resident Evil 1 remake
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?