Dishonored's commercial success turned Bethesda's one-game gamble into a franchise, Bethesda spokesman Pete Hines told Destructoid.
According to Hines, sales of the stealth title exceeded the company's internal expectations, adding "we clearly have a new franchise."
"I can tell you that Dishonored is far exceeding our sales expectations, which is especially cool considering it's new IP facing a host of well-established franchises this quarter," he said. "We did terrific numbers again this past weekend, both in stores and on Steam, where Dishonored was listed as the #1 selling title over the holiday weekend. And Dishonored has really sold well overseas.
"So, we're very pleased and appreciate all the fans that have supported Dishonored and Arkane [Studios]. We clearly have a new franchise."
Yesterday, Dishonored's first DLC offering, Dunwall City Trials, was announced for a launch on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC on Dec. 11.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- The best song in a video game?
- Controller Design Competition
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward