Dishonored's commercial success turned Bethesda's one-game gamble into a franchise, Bethesda spokesman Pete Hines told Destructoid.
According to Hines, sales of the stealth title exceeded the company's internal expectations, adding "we clearly have a new franchise."
"I can tell you that Dishonored is far exceeding our sales expectations, which is especially cool considering it's new IP facing a host of well-established franchises this quarter," he said. "We did terrific numbers again this past weekend, both in stores and on Steam, where Dishonored was listed as the #1 selling title over the holiday weekend. And Dishonored has really sold well overseas.
"So, we're very pleased and appreciate all the fans that have supported Dishonored and Arkane [Studios]. We clearly have a new franchise."
Yesterday, Dishonored's first DLC offering, Dunwall City Trials, was announced for a launch on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC on Dec. 11.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Highergrounds Game
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- PS+ & Stryder
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?