Zynga is launching an in-game charity drive called Oh, What Fun! that will raise funds for Toys for Tots, the social gaming giant announced today.
The program — which runs from today, Nov. 28, through Dec. 31 — allows players to contribute to Toys for Tots by buying in-game items or sending a donation via text message, with 100 percent of the cost going directly to the organization. It will roll out in the following seven Zynga games over the next few weeks:
- FarmVille: Nov. 28 to Dec. 5
Farmers send your neighbors some holiday cheer with the cheer-ewe-up horse ($1) and in return receive a festive holiday teddy tree to decorate your farm.
- CityVille: Nov. 29 to Dec. 31
Deck your city halls by completing toy crafting quests where you make, wrap and sell gifts to kids for the holiday, prices range from $1 to $10.
- CastleVille: Nov. 29 to Dec. 31
Bedazzle your castle and medieval landscape with three sparkling animated holiday accents: candy cane ($1), snow villa ($5) or royal tower ($15).
- Words with Friends: Dec. 1 to Dec. 31
In between your triple word scores send a text message from your mobile phone to donate to Toys for Tots. Text keyword TOTS to 501501 to donate $5 or GIFT to donate $10.
- Draw Something: Dec. 1 to Dec. 31
In between creating your masterpiece, make a donation to Toys for Tots by sending a text message! Send keyword TOYS to 501501 to donate $5 or text JOY to donate $10.
- Bubble Safari: Dec. 3 to Dec. 31
Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell Pop! Pop your way through the holidays with Bubbles the monkey by purchasing three packages of power-ups, energy, and currency, prices range from $1 to $20.
- Pioneer Trail: Dec. 17 to Dec. 31
Discover and open a Toys for Tots mystery box for six possible critters to purchase, prices range from $4 to $5.
Zynga offices around the United States will also hold Toys for Tots toy drives this holiday season to benefit their local communities.
"Zynga and Toys for Tots share a common belief in the positive power of play and we're proud to invite our players to join us in supporting Toys for Tots' mission to deliver hope through the gift of toys," said Ken Weber, executive director of Zynga.org, the charitable arm of the company, in an investor release announcing the program. Zynga.org has raised over $13 million for charity through campaigns similar to Oh, What Fun!.
Toys for Tots, which is run by the United States Marine Corps Reserve, is a nonprofit organization established in 1947 to provide toys and books to less fortunate children at Christmastime.
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Why Pikachu may soon be as iconic as Mickey Mouse
- With Han Solo, Leia and Chewie, Star Wars Commander is bringing back the force
- Demos are dead, long live demos
- I caught every Pokémon and it only took most of my life
- Destiny launch trailer shows combat readiness
- Game pre-loading comes to Xbox One early with Madden 15
- Development hell: The video game
- Clementine will make a stand as The Walking Dead Season Two closes next week
- Want to save time and money? Stop buying games at launch