More than 525,000 PlayStation 3 consoles and 160,000 PlayStation Vitas were sold in the United States during Black Friday sales last week, Sony announced today.
According to Sony, sales of PS3 bundles increased 15 percent, the $199 Ultimate PlayStation Value Bundle selling out at retailers countrywide. The $199 Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation PlayStation Vita bundle also sold out at retail and was unavailable on Amazon five hours after going live. The similarly priced Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified and Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes bundles also sold out at retail.
During Black Friday week, PlayStation Plus subscriptions increased 259 percent compared to the same time period last year, likely due to the PS Plus service going live on Sony's handheld on Nov. 19.
"We're very pleased with the Black Friday sales results, especially the incredible reception for the PS3 and PS Vita bundles," said Sony of America CEO Jack Tretton. "The demand was very strong which quickly depleted our inventory across retailers nationwide. The PlayStation brand generated significant revenue and year-over-year growth at retail because of our focus on what gamers love most in combining amazing hardware with great games and digital entertainment."
Sony recently announced a PlayStation Vita PS Plus Instant Game Collection bundle for release next week, which includes a one-year subscription to PS Plus. Also available through the holiday season are the 500 GB PlayStation 3 Assassin's Creed 3 and Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition bundles.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)