The game's owner, Harv Bennett, recently told Polygon that it had been sitting in storage for about two decades, until he and his daughter unearthed it last month. Bennett had opened this particular copy a total of five times and played it, but the box itself was intact, including the instruction manual — the first one known to survive to the present day.
Another copy of Air Raid sold for $31,600 on eBay in 2010. According to this auction's bid history, the listing sat at just over $17,000 until just before the close of the auction at 10 p.m. ET yesterday, when a last-minute bid brought the listing up to its final sale price.
Bennett told Polygon that he plans to give most of the proceeds from the auction to his daughter, who recently bought "a real fixer-upper" of a house.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4