It marks the first time that the original game has been downloadable through EA. According to the company, it was made available for two milestones: the Battlefield series' 10th anniversary this fall, and a mark of 2 million subscribers to Battlefield Premium, the season pass for Battlefield 3 expansions.
The next Battlefield 3 add-on, Aftermath, launches later this year; the final expansion, End Game, is set for release in March 2013. EA has sold more than 17 million copies of Battlefield 3 since its release just over one year ago.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible