DayZ Bounty is an unofficial mod developed by three DayZ players who started killing each other in the game one night and began to place bets on whether they could take each other down. In an interview with PC Gamer, creative development lead Jake Stewart said, "We're not trying to make money"; instead the developers want to set up a competitive but fun community with betting mechanics that provide an additional incentive to preserve your own life, on top of the game's existing zombies. Players spend between $5 and $20 to "buy in" with a certain number of lives for their character, and receive cash rewards through PayPal for kills.
According to James Ortiz, one of Stewart's partners, the DayZ Bounty developers want to keep the mod above board; they reached out to Bohemia for the studio's blessing and "have not heard anything back." However, a Bohemia representative told VG247, "The DayZ development team and Bohemia Interactive is not involved or has had any contact with with DayZ Bounty and it's [sic] creators."
That won't be the case for long. Bohemia doesn't approve of DayZ Bounty — the studio believes that the mod's gambling element "introduces challenges [to] the basic game design aspects that DayZ is built upon," according to the spokesman. "It changes the focus of DayZ from being a creative, enjoyable, gritty gaming experience to a game that is based almost solely on financial gain and that is not something we want to be associated with." Bohemia plans to contact the DayZ Bounty developers soon "to ask that they cease their activities in their current form," said the studio spokesman.
In the meantime, the company remains at work on the alpha version of the standalone DayZ game, which it hopes to release next month.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Payday 2's upcoming add-on pack is an homage to Battlefield
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game