The process for transferring data from a Wii to a Wii U is outlined in the console's instruction manual, which Polygon received today alongside a review unit of Nintendo's new hardware.
The process is somewhat similar to the transfer process between Nintendo's handheld devices, but requires a couple of extra steps. First, users must insert an SD card into the Wii U to initiate the process using the console's Wii System Transfer application. After starting the process, the user must put the same SD card into their Wii, and download another transfer application from the Wii Shop Channel. That app will move data over to the card, which must be put back into the Wii U, at which point the Wii data is moved to the console, and deleted from the card altogether.
The data that can be transferred in this way includes:
- Wii Software save data
- WiiWare and save data
- Virtual Console titles and save data
- Add-on content
- Wii Points
- Wii Shop Channel activity
- Mii characters
We'll have more information about the Wii U over the next few days as we familiarize ourselves with the new hardware. Stay tuned!
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming