The former senior designer behind Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Simon Iwaniszak, is developing a new title for iOS devices, Firefly: The Adventures of Switch, reports Eurogamer.
The 2D side-scrolling platform, which will be playable on iPhone, iPad and iPod devices, is in production at Red Kite Games, a Leeds-based studio founded by Iwaniszak.
The title is inspired by the traditional animation style of early Disney films, and classic animated movies from the 1980s the likes of Watership Down. In Firefly, the user controls a firefly called Switch who is attempting to bring light back to his island after his nemesis Master Mantis stole its light orbs.
Using touch-based controls, players collect orbs throughout the level, run, fly and shoot at enemies that range from toxic slugs to hornets. In doing so, Switch absorbs their light orbs.
The studio is yet to decide on a price point for the game; However, it will include in-app purchases in which light orbs — used to purchase upgrades in-game — can be bought for real world money.
A video of Firefly: The Adventures of Switch will be shown at the Firefly during the Bradford Animation Festival in England on Nov. 16.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Child of Light's creators discuss the birth of Aurora and her fairytale journey