Update: Today BioWare confirmed Star Wars: The Old Republic will be free-to-play as of Nov. 15, across all territories. Players will be able to experience the game for free up to level 50, and current paying subscribers will receive 250 complimentary Cartel Coins for use in the Cartel Market.
The Rewards Program has also been extended, and former subscribers who renew subscriptions by 12:59 a.m. ET on Dec. 21 will receive will receive Complimentary Cartel Coins for previously paid-for subscription time.
Original Story: BioWare's Star Wars-themed MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic may go free-to-play as early next week, according to a recent interview with senior producer Blaine Christine and live producer Cory Butler on German website Gamona, which has since been removed from the site.
Gamona writes that it was invited to a conference call in which the producers announced the game would go free-to-play on Thursday, Nov. 15 along with its 1.5 update, according to a translation posted on the SWTOR forums.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The man who made Atari's E.T. names his worst video game of all time
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today