Skylanders Cloud Patrol, the mobile extension of Activision's Skylanders franchise, will offer players an Amazon-exclusive version of the Flameslinger character — both the physical and digital versions — "for a limited time" starting on Nov. 11, publisher Activision announced today.
The character can only be obtained through an in-app purchase within the Kindle Fire version of Skylanders Cloud Patrol. Buying the $9.99 character will have Amazon ship the physical Flameslinger figure to you and immediately unlock the digital character within Cloud Patrol. According to Amazon director of games Mike Frazzini, this is the first time that an in-app or in-game purchase has been tied to a physical item.
"Amazon is in a unique position to be able to deliver physical goods directly to customers' doorsteps," he said in a press release announcing the promotion, "so you can imagine the possibilities this opens up for developers and customers in the future."
Cloud Patrol features an in-app purchase for a different Skylanders character every day. According to Amazon, the Flameslinger figure will be available for purchase on every weekend in November while supplies last. The game launched in September on Kindle Fire for $0.99.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Child of Light's creators discuss the birth of Aurora and her fairytale journey