The graphics quality of Vigil Games' Darksiders 2 on Wii U does not hold up to the game's other versions, and suffers from a significant drop in performance due to a low frame-rate that affects playability, reports Eurogamer.
In a video comparing Darksiders 2 on the Wii U and PlayStation 3, the Wii U version replaces shafts of light among trees with a simpler glow, tones down water splash effects and removes trees from some of the more open areas. Denser forest areas have retained all foliage and are rendered with a higher resolution, although select textures in a few areas are rendered a lower resolution than the surroundings. The frame-rate level also drops during scenes in more expansive environments. However, full motion video cutscenes are identical across the Wii U, PS3 and Xbox versions, and the Wii U version's load times are similar to the PS3 version.
According to Eurogamer the Wii U version does not graphically keep up with the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, with rates falling up to 10 FPS lower than other console versions during intense combat sequences. In boss encounters, having multiple adversaries onscreen will also cause the frame rate to drop, as opposed to it running smoothly when there is only one large opponent in view.
Eurogamer speculates that memory bandwidth or problems with the console's optical drive made it necessary to pare back graphics in certain areas, since the Wii U contains a flash RAM that does not allow users to cache data on its hard drive.
For a more detailed analysis of Darksiders 2 performance across all consoles check out Eurogamer's breakdown.
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine