While Valve's development of a version of Dota 2 on tablets didn't work out, the company hopes that advances in tablet hardware will make it possible in the near future, studio head Gabe Newell told Kotaku.
"We were working on getting Dota 2 running on some tablets," said Newell, before explaining that the project "ended up being kind of a disappointment" because of performance issues.
"But the good news is that tablets are getting faster very quickly, so I think we'll get the kind of performance we want and other game developers want in the near future," he added.
Dota 2 is currently in development as a free-to-play title on Windows. Valve has not yet announced a release date.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?