Researchers have identified a link between playing violent video games and exhibiting aggressive behavior, according to a study published online in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.
In "The more you play, the more aggressive you become: A long-term experimental study of cumulative violent video game effects on hostile expectations and aggressive behavior," universities in the U.S., France, Germany and the Netherlands collaborated to study the long-term effects of playing violent video games.
Asserting that it is "well established that violent video games increase aggression," the researchers had two groups of participants play video games for 20 minutes a day over three consecutive days. One group played violent video games — Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Condemned 2: Bloodshot and The Club — while the other played three non-violent video games — S3K Superbike, Dirt 2 and Pure.
'Playing video games could be compared to smoking cigarettes. A single cigarette won't cause lung cancer, but smoking over weeks or months or years greatly increases the risk."
After playing, participants were given the opportunity to "blast a confederate with loud unpleasant noise through headphones," which researchers called "the aggression measure." To measure "hostile expectations," participants read "ambiguous story stems about potential interpersonal conflicts" and were asked what they thought the characters "would do or say, think, and feel as the story continued."
According to the study's abstract, "aggressive behavior and hostile expectations" increased for those who played violent video games but not for those who played non-violent games.
"Playing video games could be compared to smoking cigarettes," Brad Bushman, a co-author and professor of communication and psychology at Ohio State University, said in a press release announcing the study's publication. "A single cigarette won't cause lung cancer, but smoking over weeks or months or years greatly increases the risk. In the same way, repeated exposure to violent video games may have a cumulative effect on aggression."
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Legend of Zelda in virtual reality is both familiar and completely terrifying
- This Sonic and Cammy fan-film only gets weird after the S&M scene
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Magic 2015 lead designer says Duels of the Planeswalkers is a yearly franchise 'like FIFA or Madden'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???