Blizzard Entertainment has been publicly flirting with the idea of bringing Diablo 3 to consoles for the better part of a year. And while the action-RPG is currently running on unspecified consoles within Blizzard, the developer's chief creative officer tells Polygon that the company is still not ready to talk about its Diablo 3 console plans.
"We're still kind of exploring it," said Blizzard executive Rob Pardo, who was recently promoted from executive vice president of game design to chief creative officer. "We've got builds up and running on it. We're hoping to get it far enough along where we can make it an official project, but we're not quite ready to release stuff about it, but it's looking pretty cool."
Diablo 3 lead designer Jay Wilson reiterated that Blizzard is still "exploring console options" and continues to "expand and add onto the game."
"The whole team is essentially working on the next big Diablo thing," Wilson told Polygon during an interview this weekend. "A lot of that stuff will show up next year at some point."
Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said in November that the company has plans for an expansion to Diablo 3, but no plans to discuss a timeframe.
Wilson also said the most recent update to Diablo 3, version 1.05, was "our best received patch to date," citing the number of unique logins and positive community response.
"When it came out, we saw a big uptick in the number of people playing but mainly we just got really good feedback from the community and that's what we always look for," Wilson said.
Diablo 3 is currently available for Windows and Mac.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Titanfall's Expedition DLC offers a 'parkour playground' with the 'War Games' map
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)