Spike VGA-winning and Grammy-nominated composer Austin Wintory, best known to video game enthusiasts for his work on thatgamecompany's Journey and Flow, will provide the musical score for the upcoming, Kickstarter-backed Leisure Suit Larry remake from Replay Games.
Wintory told Polygon in an interview that while he was surprised to get the gig scoring a game primarily about scoring, composing the music for Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded is something of a fantasy job.
"Al Lowe, the original creator, reached out to me a little while ago," Wintory said just prior to winning multiple Spike VGA awards. "The team that's remaking it, Replay Games, they had been fans of Journey. It's actually shocking that they would think to call me because they couldn't be more opposite of each other."
Despite the differences in tone, Wintory said Lowe's raunchy adventure games were something he remembered fondly.
"That's my era as a gamer growing up," Wintory said. "This was like a fantasy to work on a game like that."
"[Replay Games] did ask, have you done this kind of 'seedy, back alley kind of stuff'?"
Wintory says he's written "sexy music" before — "not for games, but for films" — and that Lowe and Replay Games made sure he was comfortable writing "seedy, back alley kind of stuff" before extending the offer to score Larry Laffer's modern-day remake.
Wintory's work on Journey recently won the award for Best Musical Score and Best Original Score at Spike's annual video game award show. He was recently nominated for a Grammy for Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media.
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Reloaded was successfully funded through Kickstarter in April. The game is currently up for approval at Steam Greenlight and is expected to be released in the first quarter of 2013 on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android platforms.
Wintory is also attached to another Kickstarter-funded game, animated adventure The Banner Saga.
- Toys for Bob and the story behind Skylanders
- Tales from inside the Diversity Lounge: PAX's half-baked experiment
- Bungie fires Halo composer Martin O'Donnell (update)
- Starbound studio is helping to bring metroidvania RPG Heart Forth, Alicia to new platforms
- Trials Fusion review: back to the future
- Official Disney Fan Club site hints at Disney Infinity 2.0 launch this August
- PS4 update 1.70 coming soon, introduces video editor app, USB saves, game pre-loading
- Wolfenstein: The New Order pre-orders open on Steam, includes TF2 armor and hat
- A eulogy for World of Darkness, written by (and for) a White Wolf fan
- Sweden wants to use games to promote democracy and creativity