Devolver Digital's Hotline Miami has been torrented at a "staggering level", its developers say.
Speaking to Eurogamer, Devolver's project manager Graeme Struthers said that while he doesn't know the exact piracy numbers, he isn't surprised that it has happened.
"It has been torrented to such a staggering level, and given the file size of it, I mean, you can't really be surprised, right?" he said. "You could pass this thing around on the world's smallest memory stick ... so it has been torrented to extraordinary levels."
Despite the number of people pirating the game, Struthers says the developers are pleased that the game has sold 130,000 copies and he is "chuffed to bits" for creators Jonathan "Cactus" Söderström and Dennis Wedin.
"It would be nice if guys could find it within themselves to pay for it, but that's the world I'm in, so you know, you just have to take it for what it is."
Söderström released a bug-fixing patch back in October for pirated copies of the game because, as much as he didn't want people pirating the game, he still wanted them to have the best experience possible.
"I've worked very hard on making an interesting experience that I want people to enjoy," he told Polygon at the time. "Bugs detract from that, and that's worse to me than losing money."
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- The Titanfall for Vita that wasn't and the decision that changed its name
- PS3 bundled with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for $269 at Walmart
- Meet the gay soldier you didn't know was in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?
- The best song in a video game?
- Controller Design Competition
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward