During the making of The Last of Us, developer Naughty Dog "flat-out refused" to move Ellie — one of this title's two central characters — to the back of the game's cover art, during discussions over whether female-led game covers sell fewer units, creative director Neil Druckmann told VG247.
According to Druckmann, the idea that female-led game covers are less marketable is simply a misconception.
"I believe there's a misconception that if you put a girl or a woman on the cover, the game will sell less," he said. "I know I've been in discussions where we've been asked to push Ellie to the back and everyone at Naughty Dog just flat-out refused."
This follows recent discussion over the box art for Irrational Games' upcoming Bioshock Infinite. Studio co-founder Ken Levine recently stated the box art, which depicts a generic looking protagonist, gun and burning flag, is designed for those who are not familiar with the series and therefore aren't hardcore fans.
Druckmann added that while the team approached the characters of Ellie and Tess in as believable a manner possible, he was not influenced by recent industry dialogue regarding the portrayal of women in games, stating these topics shouldn't affect the writing of a game.
"I tried not to be mindful of too many outside influences, which is things like the industry, and how women are portrayed," he said. "I believe that should not affect a person's writing. It's about trying to find core truths in your story, and then letting that be the driving force."
The Last of Us hits PlayStation 3 on May 7, 2013.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Legend of Zelda in virtual reality is both familiar and completely terrifying
- This Sonic and Cammy fan-film only gets weird after the S&M scene
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Magic 2015 lead designer says Duels of the Planeswalkers is a yearly franchise 'like FIFA or Madden'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???